Tosca Reno’s Eat Clean Cookbook: Corn Muffins
The Eat Clean Cookbook by Tosca Reno is full of healthful, delicious recipes. I enjoyed making many recipes in this cookbook, but there is one I return to again and again: Corn Muffins. (Often I make it as cornbread in a loaf pan.) Maybe it’s because I’m married to a southerner, but in our house, you can never have too much cornbread around.
Super Simple Corn Muffins by Tosca Reno
1 and 1/3 cups / 320 ml whole-wheat flour
1 1/3 cups / 320 ml cornmeal
1/3 cup / 80 ml skim milk powder
2 Tbsp / 30 ml Sucanat or rapadura sugar
2 tsp / 10 ml baking powder
2 tsp / 10 ml baking soda
1 tsp / 5 ml finely ground sea salt
½ cup / 120 ml unsweetened applesauce
2 cups / 480 ml skim milk, soured with 2 Tbsp / 30 ml lemon juice
2 Tbsp / 30 ml coconut oil, canola oil or melted butter
4 egg whites, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425°F / 220°C. Line a muffin tin with unbleached paper liners.
2. Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Place wet ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and mix together well.
4. Add wet to dry ingredients and mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix.
5. Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until just golden on top.
A cool thing about this cookbook is that Tosca Reno has some signature ingredient blends that she incorporates into several recipes. Power Flour, for example, is a combination of various flours that can be used in place of regular or whole-wheat flours. She also has a recipe for Eat Clean Cooking Spray to use in place of PAM or the like.
Thanks to Rechelle for sending me a review copy of this cookbook. I’ll be using it for years to come.